I rather last minutely pulled together a group of us for a day out in Central London to do the culture-vulture thing by going to the places mentioned above. Hana and I met up with Veron and Chesta at Oakwood Station, and i introduced them to my coursemate Stella whom we met up with at Southgate Station. our first stop was the National Gallery to see the Monet to Picasso Exhibition that was showing then (free naturally). I love it how there are so many museums with so many free exhibitions here in London, it's just great! there's never a shortage of things to do - you can even attend talks, film screenings if you want to, heck taking a walk and observing people and tourists alike is a past time in itself. one of these days i think i'll have a day out on my own and just soak it all in while the novelty's still there.
i absolutely loved the Monet to Picasso exhibition. one of my favourite's was the Boulevard de Clichy under Snow by Norbert Goeneutte. I love the effects of using a variation of the whites, black and deep reds..it's not so obvious in this picture but when you actually see the textures in real life you can't help but feel you're looking back in time, feel that the horse-driven carriage is moving.. i also loved how the trees lined up in the center reminded me of my night of mad-comical-drunken-stupor relief with Mandy that night on the way to Sacre Coeur from Montmartre...ah Paris, Je T'aime. oh btw has anyone seen that movie yet?? i'm dying to get my hands on the DVD!

'Le Boulevard de Clichy, par un temps de neige'
another one of my all time favourite impressionists - Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas was also showing. He's more known for his paintings of ballerina's, dancers and the sort and they had Miss La La at the Cirque Fernando on exhibit which thrilled me to bits!

Miss La La at the Cirque Fernando
And of course this National Gallery entry wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t post up a picture of Van Gogh’s Sunflowers. Like the Mona Lisa, seeing it up close you are able to appreciate the layers of paint and technique that went into producing it..but unlike the Mona Lisa – Sunflowers was actually more impressive in real life due to its size in relativity to dear Miss Mona.
Moving along, we did the touristy thing and took our token touristy pictures at Trafalgar Square with the infamous pigeons, I swear they look like scabs there were so many of them. Don’t you feel like just scratching them from the picture! Geli!!
Stella and Audra do National Gallery!
Shesta, Veron, Audra and Stella infront of the National Gallery
Audra does her scary geisha dance
We headed to China Town after for lunch and Stella was just grossed out seeing the roasted ducks hanging from the glass windows of the Chinese restaurants – something most Asians are just so accustomed to seeing in our everyday lives, which I found amusing. Stella decided to try the same thing as I had, Malaysian Ho Fun which was quite delicious to be honest but she found it a bit too spicy for her palate. Veron and I thought them how to use chopsticks, bubble tea and the beauty of ending every sentence with ‘lah’ and ‘man’. Hana is almost there mannn : )
Hana and her chopsticks!



No comments:
Post a Comment