Saturday, March 20, 2010


02:To Ipoh & back in less than 24 hours..



I had to leave work early on Friday. Got news that my Uncle Y was hospitalized and was scheduled for an op due to a subdural haematoma (bloodclot) in Ipoh. So we rushed over, and saw him. He was conscious, apparently he could recognize us..but other than that he had a bout of amnesia, his right leg was unable to move and from what we could make out of his speech, he said that his head felt empty.

What was sad was seeing my Aunt N after, and how she was trying so hard not to show her sadness or pain. And when her children and her siblings discussed how she should consider moving to KL (because there'd be no one to look after them there), she just started talking to her grandchildren instead.

Uncle Y for as long as I've known him, has always been a really sweet, sweet guy. Never once saw him raise his voice, or look angry. And Aunt N has always been the feisty, garang one. To me, their relationship is what I've always envisioned a perfect marriage to be - a lot of give and take, both knowing exactly what their role in the relationship was..a perfect symbiotic pairing. Of course I'm speaking from an outsider's perceived perspective, and I can't say I know for sure that they've not had their fair share of problems.

But looking at them yesterday, reminded me of The Old Man and The Sea when Hemingway explained how Marlin's mate for life. And when the Old Man caught the female Marlin and brought her on to the boat, the male Marlin kept leaping out of the water to see what was happening to her on the boat and witnessed her bludgeoning death.

Yeah, I know I'm not making much sense right now.. my thoughts are kinda all over the place but what I do know is that I probably had the best thing going for me and I pushed it away. I had my Marlin, but perhaps sometimes ..just being the biggest, handsomest prized-catch in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean it'll make the tastiest dish, does it?


Maybe I need to start catching smaller fish.

No comments:

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog